- First off, let me remind you that these guidelines only apply to Young Living’s pure essential oils. I only trust the purity, effectiveness, and therapeutic benefits with Young Living oils.
- Keep them out of the reach of children. Consider essential oils as you would any therapeutic product in your home.
- Pregnant women, epileptics, people on medications, and those with high blood pressure should consult their health care professional before using.
- Whenever you need to dilute an essential oil, use pure vegetable oil (Young Living’s V-6, coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, etc). This is known as a carrier oil. Essential oils may need to be diluted if it is a “hot” oil, or if you have sensitive skin. People with sensitive skin can use a patch test to determine if they would react to a particular oil. It is generally considered safe to apply essential oils to the soles of the feet even for people with sensitive skin. If you do put an oil on that should have been diluted but wasn’t and so you experience discomfort, dilute with your carrier oil. Do not use water! Water makes it spread and go in further.
- Do not put essential oils inside ears or eyes. If you ever get an EO in your eyes, rub your carrier oil around the edge of your eyelid. Again, use carrier oil; not water! The vegetable oil will work its way into the eye and dilute the essential oil. Same thing with your ears; dilute with carrier oil, not water.
- Some oils, including citrus oils, are photosensitive. Photosensitive: May cause a rash or dark pigmentation on skin exposed to direct sunlight or UV rays within 12 hours or more of application.
- Before you use an oil, look at the label on the bottle. There will be instructions on whether or not it should be diluted, if its photosensitive, & how long to diffuse it when you’re starting out.
- Essential oils may react with synthetic, petroleum based personal care products and other chemicals in your body. Start gradually and patiently find what works best for you and your family members. Each person’s body is different.
- Keep essential oils in tightly closed glass bottles away from light at room temperature. This will maintain their balanced chemical composition and potency indefinitely.
Click here for a more in depth user’s guide by Young Living.